Fuel and Oil
- Top off your fuel tanks.
- If you can't, have enough fuel to provide a reasonable margin of safety for your return.
- Check the engine oil and coolant levels.
- Carry at least one fire extinguisher and make sure it is accessible. Make sure you have at least the number required by Coast Guard rules.
- Check to be sure mounts are secure and functional before departure.
- Take the time to point out locations to passengers and crew.
- Make sure all instrument lights are working.
Docking and Anchoring Tips
- Have at least one anchor set up and bent-on to your anchor line.
- Carry two or three extra dock lines in case you encounter unusual conditions dockside.
- Visually inspect the lines you use for chafe or wear.
- Carry at least two fenders on-board for docking or towing if required.
- Have all navigation lights as required for your boat.